Dear fellow FTAA members,
FTAA 2022 elections are coming up, and we are looking for individuals to be part of a great volunteer team!
The Nominating and Election Committee is requesting nominations for members to serve on the FTAA 2022 – 2023 Board of Directors. Members may nominate themselves or any other member in good standing, and proper immigration papers. Any member, including the past presidents of FTAA, who paid their 2021 membership dues can be nominated. This is a great opportunity to participate with FTAA at the Board level as an active member, to connect with others who share your passion, and contribute your skills and expertise to support and strengthen your local Turkish-American Community. Members who have previously contributed both time and resources to the FTAA will be strongly considered. There are 8 board seats available at the upcoming election. There are also 3 Member Audit seats, and 3 Ethics Council seats available. In addition to these seats, there will be need for substitutes, in case a permanent member will not be able to continue to perform their duties. These substitute positions are: 3 seats for the Board of Directors, 2 seats for the Ethics Council, and 2 seats for the Audit Committee.
FTAA Board members are expected to:
Duties and responsibilities of the Board members in FTAA:
– Attend regular meetings (see Article 3.3 of the FTAA Bylaws)
– Work on major organizational decisions including planning for programs and related expenditures.
– Become involved in some facet of raising funds for the organization by spreading the word about FTAA, to help it grow and flourish. This includes public relations and coordinating ongoing relations with Broward County.
– Serve on at least on committee. Most of the board’s work is done in committees. These may include financial, organizational committees who are responsible with coordinating events such as festivals, national holyday celebrations and dinners, as well as activities of clubs (Chorus, Ataturk School, Book Club, Poetry Club, Folk dance Club, etc.)
– Be committed to attending the organization’s most important events, especially fundraisers.
– Oversee the documentation of agendas and minutes. The secretary has the main responsibility for preparing minutes and the agendas, but it is the entire board’s responsibility to make sure they are reported accurately.
In these capacities, FTAA needs nominees who can contribute their time handling a variety of duties, and who are skilled in a wide range of areas; from good public relations to handling the secretarial duties, financial duties, good computer skills (FTAA’s Web page, Quick Books…) and willing to lend a hand to keep the heart of the Turkish American Community in Southeast Florida, the “Turk Evi” operate successfully.
Each nominee who resides here in Southeast Florida, preferably resident of Broward County, and has proper immigration papers will need to provide names of two good standing FTAA members as references. The first 8 nominees who get the most votes at the election will be designated as the Member of the Board of Directors. And if that person does not accept the position, the Board will hold a vote at the first Board of directors meeting to choose any Board Member for the position of the president. (Not necessarily the highest vote holder). Other members beyond 8 members shall be considered substitute
Note that the previous president will be the 9th Board Member with no election.
Please refer to FTAA Bylaws on our Web page, for more detailed information on how FTAA operates as a non-profit organization.
The Form to be used (or attached herewith):
The Nominating and Election Committee, listed below, will accept nominations up until January 20th..
The election will be held on February 20, 2022 during FTAA’s Annual Meeting (By Zoom or physical)
The Nominating and Election Committee:
Fuat Ornarli (Chair person)
BY-LAWS Election Clauses
4.4 Duties of the Nominating and Election Committee
- Notify the members in good standing of the upcoming election of the Board of Directors, Audit Committee members and Ethics Council members by mail or other means by December 31, prior to the election year, about the election date, set by the existing Board of Directors. The notification shall include a blank nomination form for the Board of Directors, Audit Committee and Ethics Council nominees. Also, notify the chairperson of the Election Committee no later than January 20 of the election year.
- Review and provide a list of nominees to the Board by January 15 of the election year. The nominees shall be members in good standing and have accepted the nomination.
- Election notice shall be mailed no later than January 31. Election will be held in the month of February.
- Prepare the necessary documents related to the election e. On the day of the election:
- Check the list of the active members and picture identification before the election.
- Accepting nomination from the floor is not applicable.
- Provide blank ballots to the members who are present.
- Collect completed ballots from each member present.
- Count votes.
- Provide vote count to the chairperson of the meeting.
Each member is entitled to cast one vote. Those who are registered as family members are entitled to one vote for each spouse. Both spouses must be present to cast their own individual votes. Any member who is registered as an individual member shall only cast one vote for him or herself. Proxy voting, or voting by mail is allowed. There shall be no absentee voting allowed.
- Eligibility to Vote: Subject to the provision of the Florida Non-Profit Public Benefit corporation law, members entitled to vote at any meeting of members shall be Active Members in good standing as of the record date determined by the following sections of the Bylaws referring to the record date for determining notice and members of record.
- Manners of Casting Votes: Voting may be by show hands or ballot, except that any election of the Board of Directors must be by ballot.